It’s important to dream big.
It’s equally important to figure out if and how dreams can become a reality.
When people strike that balance, they can find work that they love, be employed regularly, and make enough money to achieve their financial and life goals.
How can you figure this out?
- Do some research to figure what lifestyle you want, how much it costs to maintain that lifestyle, and if the career you are interested in will pay enough to maintain that lifestyle.
- Figure out if there are enough jobs available in a given field to keep you steadily employed by doing labor market information (LMI) research.
- Look at how much education for a given occupation will cost and ask: how long it will take to pay back educational loans, and can I find a job that pays enough to do so?
The following resources will help:
This tool asks you questions about the type of lifestyle you want to live and then calculates what annual salary you would need to support that lifestyle.
- Sign in as a ‘Massachusetts Resident’
- Create a free MassHire Career Information Systems (CIS) Portfolio Account.
- Then, go to the ‘Assessment’ section to find the ‘Reality Check‘ tool.
Take a survey to get some feedback about how the lifestyle you want matches up with the career you are interested in.
Click on a state and a county to find out how much you will need to get paid per hour (as a single person, single person with a child, etc.) to make a “living wage”. You will also find a breakdown of typical expenses and salaries for some of the more typical jobs.
Do you have a dream job in mind? Find out what your chances are of becoming a celebrity or professional athlete.
Click the link above to find some additional tools to help youth get some perspective on education debt – including strategies for dealing with it.
This brief video provides information on how your finances could be affected by moving to a city.
To find the typical salary for a given occupation.